Posted on Nov 17, 2020 in Blog
As exciting as it is to build your dream home, it’s also a big decision. For this reason, it’s important to choose your home builder carefully – ensuring they offer quality homes, products, and customer care you deserve.
If you’re on the hunt for the perfect builder but unsure where to start, take advantage of these top five tips:
1. Zero In On Your New Home Needs
The first step to finding the right Edmonton home builder is to ask yourself a few questions regarding your new home expectations. For instance:
- What is your new home budget?
- What style of home are you looking for? (Single-family? Duplex? Bungalow? Etc.)
- What is your home build timeline? (Would you like to customize from the ground up? Or would you prefer a move-in ready quick possession model?)
- Where would you like to live (what new Edmonton communities will best meet your daily needs?)
Now that you have a clear understanding of the type of home you want, you’ll be in a better position to start your new home builder search.
2. Make a List
Keeping your new home needs in mind, it’s time to peruse potential home builder candidates. You can do this either through a simple Google search, contacting a local Edmonton REALTOR®, or by visiting the Canadian Home Builders’ Association’s builder directory.
As you search, pay particular attention to the builder’s website. Do they have a variety of models to choose from? Are their pictures of their previous work? Are you able to filter your search according to style, size and budget? A detailed website is indicative of a builder who both stands by their product and is eager to help you along your new home building journey.
3. Do Your Research
Now that you’ve drafted your home builder list, do a little deep digging. Check customer (and employee) reviews to learn more about the builder in question (you may even opt to reach out to a few current homeowners to learn more about their experiences). You can also review ratings-specific websites such as HomeStars and the Better Business Bureau to get a sense of the builder’s average customer and accreditation scores.
See also: The 26 Best Home Builders in Edmonton
4. Visit a Showhome
While you will be able to gather plenty of information online, nothing compares to seeing a builder’s work in person. Head out and tour the showhomes of your top 2-3 builders, taking note of the quality of the details (including the flooring, cabinetry, paint and trim).
While you’re there, don’t forget to ask the builder representative a few key questions, including:
- What are your customization options? Or what move-in ready homes do you have available? (if you’re in search of a quick possession)
- How does your home building process work?
- Can the home’s features (i.e. appliances) be up or downgraded?
- Are changes allowed during construction?
- What amenities are/will be in the area?
- Do you have financing options available (such as through a preferred lender)
- What is your estimating process? How will you keep my new home build on budget?
- How long will it take to build/complete my new home?
5. Trust Your Gut
Last but not least, it’s important to trust your instincts. As we mentioned above, building a home is a big decision. That’s why it’s imperative to choose a builder who communicates with you openly and who makes you feel comfortable when it comes to asking any questions you may have (and remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question).
San Rufo is an award-winning home builder know for our quality craftsmanship and high-end customizable designs. If you’re thinking of building a new home in Edmonton or the surrounding area, we invite you to explore the San Rufo difference.