Posted on Jun 10, 2022 in Blog
Turning your home decor into something filled with colour and personality is a task many people find both exciting in its potential and exasperating in the amount of work. However, this doesn’t have to take a long time! There are a ton of awesome decorating projects that can be finished in next to no time. All you need is a fun attitude and you will see that decorating your home is easier than you thought it could be.
Every home needs some artwork to spruce up the place. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need an authentic Van Gogh or Rembrandt if you’re looking to hang some art on your walls. The following is a look at a few fantastic artwork ideas that should get you started in the right direction.
For starters, simply grab a few floating frames and place whatever you would like in there, such as letterpress cards, photographs or other treasured mementos that match well with the rest of your decor. Frames with mirrors inside can act as a form of artwork as well, particularly ornate and colourful frames. You can also try crafting quick photo frames by taking a circular place mat, sticking a photo to the centre of it and hanging them on the wall.
Paint, Wallpaper, Other Wall Treatment Ideas
When deciding on some quick and easy decorating projects, you will find that the walls in your home are the perfect areas for many of these ideas, which include:
- Wallpapered accent wall – All this idea requires is a bit of patterned wallpaper and a spot on the wall to place it on, such as one in the foyer or behind your bed.
- Custom wainscoting – Wainscoting generally involves the purchasing and placing of panels along portions of your walls. This can make for a highly detailed and unique look to a room.
- Elegant dining display – By hanging two bookcases on the dining room wall, with a third on to the floor, you will have created a new and enticing means to keep your dishing and other dining pieces stored, as opposed to the typical china cabinet.
- Paint – Try painting your walls in an appealing colour, such as maroon, or turn a plain brown piece of furniture into a modern piece with a sleek and glossy black or dark purple.
Fun, Unique and Quirky Ideas
You’re going to want some fun and quirky ideas to match your personality, such as:
- If you have a dark black or brown bookcase, think about painting the interior of the shelves with a bright colour or ornate patterns, which will help to illuminate the contents of the bookshelf. Or add a brightly patterned paper to the back side (if the shelves come out for easy access).
- Lampshades are typically plain and uninteresting things, which can be quickly remedied by simply taking a bleach pen and drawing some colourful patterns onto a coloured shade, such as flowers or leaves. Or you can use a coloured fabric pen to add colour to a plain white shade.
- Try giving your furniture a new facelift by replacing knobs with more decorative ones, painting the outside of the drawers and sanding the tabletop. You’ll find that this can add whimsy to a room.
- Take an old shelving unit and place wheels on the bottom. You can then use it as a means of rolling dinner to the table.
Cushions and Other Fabrics
Fabrics are not only used for comfort, but can also be utilized in a way that adds a bit of zest to the decor of your home. For instance, take a simple bench and place it against the wall. Then, place an upholstered headboard above the bench, with a separate cushion on the base of the bench. You might also consider crafting some ombre pillow covers with fabric dye. This can be done by placing the pillow in the dye at intervals of times. Don’t forget about the windows in your home! They can be as vacant as you want them to be, or you can choose to add a bit of life by draping custom curtains around them.
Whether you’ve just built your home or have been living in it for a while, all it takes is implementing some of these ideas and you will be well on your way to having one of the most unique and appealing homes around. The best part about these ideas are that they hardly take any time to complete!